This RULES, if you have any cash, I highly recommend this

Ok, I have just gotten a DVD-RAM to work under linux!! How do you do
this? simple emulate scsi, enable UDF write support, and you are in
business.

DVD-RAM is similar to CD-RW, except it its for dvds. The drive I have
(panasonic lf-d311), supports 4.7 and 9.4 GB disks (yes GB). It also
does dvd-r for non-rewriteable stuff. It also doesn't need dvd-ram media
in a cartrige (though it can use that media too), it just looks like a
regular dvd (but the back of the disk looks different).

I now have a high density removable media that couldn't be easier to use
(its actually easier to use than in windows...though windows isn't bad).
I can't beleive how well this works in linux, and all I had to do was
enable it in the kernel. I was able to transfer a 1GB directory to the
disk in about 15 minutes (does this compare well to cd-rw?), and then
deleted it, which happened instantaneously.

long story short, DVD-RAMs work great under linux, and if you have the
money, its worth picking up.

peace

jason