Using Joe

Hi guys (and girls).
Could somebody  try to explain the following for me.
I`ve decided it`s about time I had some experience in using a file editor.I
looked at Vim and Emacs but I decided that discretion was the better part of
valour and plumped for joe.
I did Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get me out of the X server ---fine---no problems.
I called up joe then simulated editing my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file----no
problems---the file came up on the screen.
I then called up my /etc/innittab but nothing came up on the screen---can
somebody tell me why?
I was in root when the above operations were carried out.
                                                      Many thanks,
                                                                  jeff