Re: not a linux question

* On Tue Jan 08, 2002 23:27:27 -0400, rod wrote:
> Anyone tell me if an ATA100 drive (maxtor 40gig) will work using ATA33
> with a standard cable. I realize it won't work quite as well as with
> ATA66 or ATA100 but will it work. The machine is question is an older
> one with a Intel 440LX chipset and the bios probably tops out at 8.4
> gig.

Should work fine.  It'll just run at the speed of your IDE controller.
Even if the BIOS doesn't see the full 40GB Linux still should.  You may
however have problems with your bootloader (assuming you are booting off
this drive), and a small /boot partition at the beginning of the drive
might be a good idea.

- Tal

--
Tal Danzig        |     Libranet GNU/Linux
[email protected]  |  https://www.libranetlinux.com

GPG Fingerprint: 8BE6 B973 BC1C 0CA0 CEE5  4874 C741 0BD5 B3A2 5512
Public key available from wwwkeys.pgp.net

PGP signature