Re: Creative 5x DVD-ROM Drive

In general, I believe all dvd-rom drives are compatible with linux.
Specifically, I have a creative dvd-rom in my system and use it all the
time (I know it is at least 5x, but it may be harder). That said, using
it will take a little effort. First, if you want to be able to mount a
dvd disk, you will need to have read support for the UDF file system
compiled into your system. Some players don't require mounting (like
xine) and you may be able to get away with skipping this step (though
don't quote me on this) if you only want to play the movies on a dvd.
You can still mount cds and play them with out UDF, just like you would
in a cd-rom. However, some players (such as those built for the DXR2
decoder) require mounting, thus you need to compile UDF.

Hope this gets you started. If you want to play dvds, check out xine at
xine.sourceforge.net

jason