Sound

Hello all,

I did a dist-upgrade to woody and now alsa is acting flacky.

/etc/init.d/alsa start does not work.  Loading the modules by hand will
allow me to get sound working, but my microphone no longer works.

I get the following errors when trying to use the alsa mixers:

alsamixer: failed to open mixer #0/#0: Success
amixer: Mixer 0/0 open error: No such file or directory

As added info, I installed a stock kernel from woody (2.4.16-k6) plus
the alsa stuff that matched.

Any clues?

Regards,
Michael