Re: Sound

Actually, its a problem from switching from alsa 0.5 to alsa 0.9.
Libranet was very kind in providing a deb that gives the alsa 0.5
modules compiled for kernel 2.4.3. Once you go to woody/sid, alsa goes
to the 0.9 series and you will have to compile your own modules. You
also have to modify your modules.conf (not directly, but though
modutils). For example, in my /etc/modutils directory, I have an
alsa-path file that looks like:

# Debian ALSA modules path
# Do not edit this unless you understand what you're doing.
path=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc

that lets the system know where to find the modules, as well as a
alsa-aliases that looks like:

alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-emu10k1
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

which sets up my card (SBLive Value) and emulates oss for those apps
that prefer it.

jason