Re: linux install

In a message dated 1/16/2002 11:03:02 PM Eastern Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

Are you booting from a DOS bootdisk and trying to run the Linux install from the Linux CD-ROM?  That will cause a kernel panic every time.  The reason I ask is a guy at work had the same problem your having and that is what he was doing.

If you are doing that, you need to boot from the CD (no boot disks) or create the linux boot disks from the Linux CD from within DOS or Windows.

    -----Original Message-----
    From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
    Sent: Wed 16/01/2002 8:23 PM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: linux install

    i dont know what the deal is but i get a kernel panic message when i try to install linux...

    i have to use boot disks because i cant boot from the cd... i dont ever geta chance to get as far as the cd though... it doesnr make it that far

actually i managed to install it but its not what i thaught it would be... unless there is something im missing?

ill describe to you what i have.

its a black screen and asks for a login and password. after i put in what i set them as in the setup it welcoms me with a message of my last login. and then all i have is a command line. i have no idea what to do about it. i thaugh there would be some graphical interface. if ther is i dont know how to get to it. please help :(