Re: WW2 computer

Yeah, my Uncle had an old IBM 386SX.  The CMOS battery died and the only
way to get into the BIOS was to use a boot floppy.  So then the floppy
drive died.  The replacement drive (proprietary IBM only drive.._ was
like $400.  This when regular floppy drives were like $20-$30.

It was ridiculous.

So, he gave up and bought a good 'ole clone.  The whole new machine (A
486 somehting) was only slightly more expensive than that IBM floppy
drive.

Oh, and then there's IBM's MCA (microchannel) bus.  As far as I know,
Linux support for this bus type is quite poor, as the specs were
guarded..

So, in short, it's probably not worth your time.

Having said that, you can download Debian and install it from floppies.
(about 14 of them) but good luck getting the other components (like the
ethernet card etc.) working in it.

Ben