Re: gentoo was: Re: AMD owners!!!

I tried installing Gentoo on my laptop as I liked the idea of a
highly optimised system, but messed it up!

It does take forever as you compile absolutely everything from
source, and I found to my cost that this is not a process that
can be stopped and restarted at will.  To be honest, I didn't
find the official instructions to be very good - it's not for
newbies (like me).  Bank on 3-4 days to get it running,
assuming you know what you are doing.

I might give it another go sometime.  Another similar distro is
Sorceror (I think) - their install/compile process requires a
minimum of 1 GB combined memory and swap!

Both Gentoo and Sorceror are almost LFS, but with intelligent
dependancy handling - like our beloved apt.

Nick.