burner questions

After a bit of trial and error and a few stupid mistakes I've enabled
support for a burner. cdrecord -scanbus sees the burner; xcdroast sees
the burner. Things look like a go here. Questions:

Lilo.conf has two stanzas - linux and linuzold. I should be able to pick
the alternate linuxold by holding the shift key while booting. Holding
the shift key didn't work on my machine. I'm guessing a bios setting.
Any ideas? (with the exception of changing the value of delay, lilo.conf
is pretty much stock)

I've set up all the scsi stuff as modules, now where would I call the
ide-scsi module. Do I put it in /etc/modules? If so, do I use just the
module name (ie ide-scsi) or is the complete path required? This file is
checked by a script in /etc/init/d during boot. The other option is to
add 'modprobe ide-scsi' to a script in /etc/init.d. Ideas anyone?

This is a trial run. The burner I installed doesn't burn but it does
read. Wanted to get everything sorted out before committing the cash.
Still have to figure out xcdroast.

Rod