for those of you who want to use alsa

I was just browsing through packages available in woody and noticed that
there are now precompiled alsa modules for the 2.4.16 kernel (I'm
guessing that sid has some for 2.4.17). For those of you who have
updgraded to woody only to break alsa, this will likely solve your
problems so long as you are using the 2.4.16 kernel. The problem poeople
were experiencing was due to the fact that Libranet gave us precompiled
modules for Alsa 0.5, but when going to woody, alsa steps up to 0.9, and
we no longer have working modules. Up to now, the only options were to
compile your own modules, or switch to OSS modules and abandon alsa. Now
that there are modules available, you should be able to get alsa up and
running on woody or sid. I personally haven't tried this (I figured out
how to build the damn things myself), but I would be currious if anyone
here can restore alsa using these modules. In theory it should be
simple. Note, there are a variety of modules availble built for
different CPUs, I saw several including 386,486,586 and k7.

enjoy

jason