Re: very sad.... No more....

Cyberclops <[email protected]> writes:

> What distribution did you end up using for this purpose?  See, I'm interested
> in a home/family distribution that is very user friendly.  I want the user
> logons, but I don't want the hassle of having to constantly log into root. "su"
> is not good enough, because it doesn't give you a GUI, and that's the only kind
> of computer system I'm the least bit interested in using.
>
> Alexander Wallace wrote:
>
> > Indeed I tryed another distribution... It is only for server, no X installed
> > or anything with a gui on the server, but it is excelent for the job, the
> > easyest to install and configure... You can mannage everything from a remote
> > web browser... Everything works! it's amazing!
> >
> > Thanks to all for the help and suggestions...

<snip>

You might be interested in two programs, both available in woody. One
is called webmin, which allows you to do most common systems admin
stuff with a browser (even remotely!)- very popular with GUI-oriented
folks. Another program is sudo, which gives root permissions to trusted
users for whatever programs you specify. Keeps you from having to su
all the time for common tasks, while not posing a security hazard.

On another topic, I upgraded my HP722 printer settings with the woody
apsfilter- very nice (it recognizes the pnm2ppa filters, which the
Libranet 1.91 apsfilter does not.) Also, Cups is supposed to support
the pnm2ppa filter in woody, though I did not try it (no time.)

--
Bruce Mobarry