Re: very sad.... No more....

Linux is in my opinion, a few years back where windows was in usability. This gap is rapidly narrowing, though, if the current trend toward desktop sophistication continues. The downside is, that it may well become too windows-like in terms of loosing flexibility and transparency. I use Mandrake 8 on one of my machines and while it installs and runs flawlessly out of the box, it is easy to destroy that pretty picture by doing too much 'configuring'. There are so many interdependencies and I have many times wasted my install by upgrading components or just customizing desktops that I had to reinstall. I hope that a debian distribution, while somewhat harder to set up, is less vulnerable to corruption. The nice thing about Linux is that the configuration is essentially all text-based and with sufficient knowledge, one should be able to troubleshoot anything, which is not so under windows or mac. I think that in terms of general acceptance as a desktop, it will need to bedome more userfriendly before it c > A perfectly valid point of view, Eddie, but a tad harsh and unnecessary.