Re: very sad.... No more....

I'll try that, but I did try it one time before, and I got a message that the Xserver was already running.  Are you saying I have to start out in "run level 3"?

Helmut Steinwender wrote:

How about then, go into X 'manually', i.e. boot to console, startx etc. then CTL-ALT-F2 or so to new console, log in as root, 'startx -- :1' gets you a new Xserver as root, do what you want there, switch between desktops CTL-ALT-F7 CTL-ALT-F8 and you should be set.

 My only concern is that I like to