firewire?

Anyone on the list have any luck (good, preferably) getting any firewire
devices to work?  I have an Epson Perfection 2450 Photo scanner, with USB
and firewire ... I can make it work with USB but not with firewire, so
far.  gscanbus sees the scanner, but sane-find-scanner does not.  I'm not
sure if it should show up as a scsi device or WHAT.  Any suggestions?
Surely SOMEone must have firewire working :-)

dave w