USB Printer and Kernel recompile.

Well I am not sure that i will need a recompile of my kernel as the USB ports
do appear in the system list and the /boot directory contains an active (ie
'y' appears at the end of the line) CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=y line. So obviously
the kernel must be supporting USB printing.  I am stumped why /dev files
don't appears for any USB funtion. Is this what xconfig is supposed to fix?
Has something else not been activated properly?