Re: Darn USB printer

I've tried xadminmenu a couple of times for kernel compiling but I
usually can't read the fonts so I'm not all that familiar with it.
Besides I am comfortable with xconfig. It's only the make xconfig that
she needs to do to see what is what and what for. None of the rest of
the compile steps are required unless you intend to compile a kernel.
And even then, if you don't actually overwrite the old kernel or install
the new one, the only other step which may cause problems is make
modules_install.

I recompiled my kernel last night to enable burner support. I don't have
a burner at the moment. If I elect to install a burner I only have to
rename two files, make a symlink and run lilo to set up the new kernel
before shutdown so I will (I hope) have the burner working when I
reboot.

Yeah, we are probably saying the same thing. Just in different terms.
There are lots of good how-to's around for compiling a kernel. They're a
good first step.

Rod