Re:Darn USB printer

Sarah,

You can recompile the kernel by using the option in the
xadminmenu facility.  Select the kernel tab, then the recompile
kernel option.  This semi-automates the process for you, but
achieves the same result as 'make xconfig'.

Running this will bring up a window with menus for either
compiling in support, leaving out support. or providing support
as a loadable module.  The facility exists to allow you to
optimise your kernel for your hardware and operating
requirements.  Needless to say, you can mess things up in a big
way doing this!

However, if you don't change anything you don't understand then
you should be fine.  You navigate the options using the
keyboard arrow keys, press enter to select a menu option, use
'y' to select a kernel option, 'n' to remove a kernel option,
and 'm' to compile it as a module.  A 'help' facility provides
information and advice (of variable quality).

So, navigate down to the 'usb support' menu item and press
enter.  Navigate down to the 'usb printer' option and press 'y'
to select it.  You should probably check that the correct usb
controller is enabled (uhci or ohci) if you know what you've
got - if you don't know then select both.  Now select 'exit' to
the main menu, then 'exit' again.  Select yes, when prompted to
save your new configuration, then go and make a cup of coffee
while your kernel recompiles.  You will of course have made an
emergency boot disk during your Libranet installation which
will get you a working system if the kernel recompile goes
wrong!

Quite easy really.  You could also look at setting the
processor option according to your computer which can speed
things up a little bit if you have something faster than the
default 486, and remove support for things you definitely don't
have like pcmcia support on a desktop machine.

Good luck,

Nick.