internet connect

This is a linux question not necessarily a libranet question..i think.
In KDE,, I am only able to browse the internet as root, if I connect using
KPP (or kppp ) as a user - I cant get anywhere. The computers
handshake and then I get "www.(whatever server) not found", unable to
connect, etc.   IVe read pppd man and kpppmanual but the burning question is
what conditions could cause something like that. It wont even connect to my
mail server unless Im logged into KDE as root. Then everything works
perfectly.    Tony/ky