Re: kt7-raid

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 12:07:53AM -0500, [email protected] wrote:
> Anyone out there running and abit kt7-Raid board? If so, have you been
> able to get the additional IDE interfaces to work. These are the ones
> that can be used for raid (though I just want to run them normally)

I have never tried this board, but if there is no easy way to set it
up, I'd suggest buying a cheap PCI controller. For example, a Promise
Ultra 100TX2 (normal ATA controller, not RAID) is available for less
than $25 and is fully supported by Linux > 2.4.5. It is as simple as
plugging it in and compiling the Promise driver into the kernel. There
are no further configuration hassles involved.

You can even use the Promise Ultra 100TX2 controller for software RAID
with the Linux raidtools. I do that with two IBM Deskstar 60GXP disks,
and performance is pretty darned impressive at a bargain price. Only a
SCSI RAID array beats it, at a very steep price.

- Christian