Re: ALSA and esd

ESD is the Enlightened Sound Daemon.
It is designed so that multiple programs can play sound through the same
device.
eg:  play MP3s with XMMS while hearing window manager sound effects.

You must be running a program that requires ESD and automatically starts it.
I know that Enlightenment (if you have sound effects turned on) and I think
GNOME use ESD.

What I try to do is use programs that use ESD when I play sounds.
XMMS and RealPlayer can both be configured to use ESD.
If I need to play a sound file from the command line I use esdplay.

Hope that helps.  If you still don't want ESD to run by default you may want
to try and track down what program is starting it.

Final tip:
if you need multiple users to be able to play to the same esd daemon run:
esdctl unlock
as the user which the esd daemon is running under.

- Tal

Tal Danzig: [email protected] | Libranet Linux: www.libranetlinux.com