Re: failed to initialize core devices

Hmm.. I always use different passwords for root and user. I don't know if
this is causing your present difficulty. Perhaps, using adminmenu you can
remove your user and then create it again with adminmenu but use a different
password. You can do this from console as well like you did for  Configuring
X but be sure that you are root at the time.

I must impress upon you though that I don't know for sure if this is what you
really need to do. Perhaps someone else will chime in soon and give you
direction which they are sure of.

I think that you are very close to have it all done. Good work so far! Give
yourself a pat on the back.

Sarah