Re: failed to initialize core devices

One issue I have with Linux in general is that the "xwindows" system ties the
mouse, monitor, keyboard, and video card all together.  The mouse can be a super
pain in the "okole."  I notice that sometimes one distribution will call a
certain mouse one thing and another will call it something else.  In other words
the same settings are not common across all distributions.  It so happens that I
can configure my mouse and keyboard nicely in Libranet 1.9.1, but for example I
never got my wheel mouse working in SuSE 7.3.  "ELX" got the wheel working right
away with no problems.  I had a fair amount of problems with the Libranet 2.0
test installer.  The only way I could get the mouse and screen to work was trial
and error from "run level 3."  I don't think that's a good thing.  I would like
to see the mouse considered separately with a test pattern for the mouse, its
button, and its wheel.  I think you should be able to easily change screen
resolution much like you do on a Mac or in Windows.  I've been reading some posts
from the Mandrake forum, and apparently this issue of Linux configuration still
is seen as a major issue regarding its acceptance by the larger public.