Re: failed to initialize core devices

It would be best in my opinion to do a reinstall.  It usually doesn't take too long in Libranet 1.9.1, and I've learned to breeze through it rather quickly.  In fact I've found it's actually one of the easier distributions to install once you know what you are doing.  I would use a separate password for root, and a separate password for the user, but I always use the same passwords on every distribution I install.  Your password should actually be a mixture of numerals and alpha characters.  An old former street address works pretty well, with the numerals displaced into the center in some way that's rememberable and easy to type.  I usually put the numerals inbetween the natural syllables.

[email protected] wrote:

In a message dated 1/18/2002 12:30:46 AM Eastern Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

>From my understanding you can get to the console screen, right? There you can
login correct? Once you are logged in start adminmenu by typing "adminmenu"
(without the quotes) then choose #3 (Configure X-Windows)

Then the computer will prompt you through the rest of the configuration.

Just make sure that you tell it what kind of mouse, Keyboard, etc. you have.

When you get to the list of video card drivers choose the "nv" option

For Monitor configuration choose simple and then choose the resolutions you
know your monitor can support.

I think your problem is you may not be telling the configuration tool the
right selections for your devices. If you have any trouble or you are unsure
of what selection to make and when write it down and post them here.

Most of all be patentient installs can be difficult but I am sure that you
are very close to getting up and running. Just be very sure to note all of
your selections and be as descriptive as possible about the error messages
you get and the hardware you have.

Sarah

On Thursday 17 January 2002 22:58, [email protected] wrote:
> i get a fatal error.... failed to initialize core devices. then it sais
> some stuff about a pointer. cant open device dev/mouse.... no such file or
> directory... what do i do i cant get x-windows to load

i went through all that and i did get a peek at the desktop, but now my root password which is the same as my other password isnt working and it doesnt start up in x-windows... 'startx' doesnt work when im logged on as "dennis"