NVidia Kernel compilation

I have seen some mention on this list of compiling the latest NVidia kernel.

I need it to get my GeForce 3 Ti 200 working as something other than a
standard VESA card. I have so far upgraded my XFree86 to 4.1. (I have no
idea how I would have managed that without console-apt and dpkg).

Problems:

1. My config file still looks very different from the one that had been
created for me by my Mandrake 8.1 install. (It is more concise for one). I
no longer have the Mandrake install version to guide me.

2. Has a late nvidia driver been packaged for a 2.4.3 kernel?  I tried
compiling the nvidia kernel source but failed due to a missing header.

3. If I must compile the source, can someone who has done this step me
through the process in a little more detail than "compile the Nvidia kernel?
and insmod"

Thanks,
Haim Zamir