Quick Upgrading questions.

Hey Folks!

If I were to do an apt-get dist-upgrade will I lose all my inbox and
reference emails that I have?

Also, I can't seem to get console-apt to actually upgrade the packages I
choose. Can someone plaese clarify the steps they use in console-apt so I can
compare and see what I may be doing wrong. (BTW I followed the man pge's
intructions so no RTM or RTFM please;-) )

Thanks,
Sarah

If I can get console-apt functioning I may just do my upgrading in bits and
pieces.