mirroring a drive

Digging for info now. The general idea is to sort of set up a 'manual'
raid system. I was thinking of installing another drive with the idea of
making a mirror copy. I do regular backups of my home directory but
there have been a lot of changes/upgrades to the system and I'd hate to
have to do it all again in the event of a harddrive failure. I went
through the man pages for dd and cpio but didn't gain much. Is there a
linux program similar to ghost. A final question: if I install a second
harddrive but don't set it up to mount will it spin-up or will it remain
in standby mode. It would seem pointless to have two drives running if
only one is being used. I guess this amounts to an on-my-command
software raid solution.

Rod