Postfix question

Having configured my postfix according to the
documentation's suggested parameters for a dial-up
connection which is down more than it's off, I have this
question:
Does this mean that when I send a message from within
mutt, it will get sent as soon as I issue that very
command?   How do I know if postfix has been able to send
my mail before I close my ppp connection?  I'd prefer to
not have to log into root and type "postfix flush" just
before I disconnect  _every_ time!
Thanks for any enlightenment!
--Mark