Re: Darn USB printer

Well, OK, so you didn't specifically tell her to
recompile her kernel-- but to check out the settings she
still needs to go through the same steps -- just not
save changes. Of course, if she did make changes, they
wouldn't take effect unless she ran "make bzdisk" or
bzlilo or whatever.

I think I _have_ run across a situation or two with some
other distros (that I've long since abandoned in favor
of the better way) where the kernel sources were not
already "pre-linked," for lack of a better term.

You say "Make xconfig is a great way to see what's
available and what it does without endangering your
working machine."  I'm not sure I follow your apparent
implication that using xconfig necessarily protects you
from hosing your system; you can get into or stay out of
as much trouble with the other two options.
We're probably on the same wavelength, but just not
understanding each other somehow... ;-)
--Mark

--
Feel the power of the penguin at