Re: Which graphics card to get?

On Wednesday 09 January 2002 09:16, Christian Vogler wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 10:33:24AM -0500, [email protected] wrote:

> Refresh rates are a highly personal matter, so I doubt that you'll get
> a good answer out of this question. :-)

Anyone with sensitive eyes, vision problems (eye glasses) or anyone who works
long hours with computers is subject to higher than normal eye strain. Age
may also play a factor.

> Anyway, 75 Hz is considered to be the *bare* minimum by people
> knowledgeable in the field, but lots of people, including myself, find
> that they need 85 Hz to avoid eyestrain.

My 19" NEC Multisyc 95 lists 1280 x 1024 @ 85Hz as the optimal viewing
settings. Quite often a compromise is necessary between a higher refresh rate
and sufficient resolution. 800 x 600 will get me 120Hz refresh, but usability
suffers-it's like looking through a knot hole in a fence! :-)

> For some people, even higher
> rates are needed, whereas I tend to get headaches at anything above 85
> Hz. Go figure.

As you age, you may get more headaches too.