Transfering Old HD to New (bigger) HD

Hi all,

My brother-in-law is looking for a way to upgrade his Hard Drive (his
kids need more space for their harry potter game).  He uses windows, but
I thought this may be a great time to show him the *power and ability*
of linux.

I would like to purchase a new hard drive (20 - 40 GB) physically
install it in his computer, and copy the contents from his old hard
drive (~8 GB) to the new one.

Are the following steps viable:

1) FDISK and format the drive under windows.
2) Boot from a rescue floppy disk or cdrom.
3) Mark the new drive as bootable using linux fdisk.
4) Mount both drives under linux.
5) Use 'cp -a' to move the contents of the old HD to the new HD.
6) Copy the boot sector from the old HD to the new HD;
   example: dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdd bs=512 count=1
7) Jumper the new HD as the primary HD, remove the old HD.
8) Boot windows.

Has anyone done something like this?
Am I missing any steps?

Thanks,