Re: Transfering Old HD to New (bigger) HD

Larry Kopenkoskey wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My brother-in-law is looking for a way to upgrade his Hard Drive (his
> kids need more space for their harry potter game).  He uses windows, but
> I thought this may be a great time to show him the *power and ability*
> of linux.
>
> I would like to purchase a new hard drive (20 - 40 GB) physically
> install it in his computer, and copy the contents from his old hard
> drive (~8 GB) to the new one.
>
> Are the following steps viable:
>
> 1) FDISK and format the drive under windows.
> 2) Boot from a rescue floppy disk or cdrom.
> 3) Mark the new drive as bootable using linux fdisk.
> 4) Mount both drives under linux.
> 5) Use 'cp -a' to move the contents of the old HD to the new HD.
> 6) Copy the boot sector from the old HD to the new HD;
>    example: dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdd bs=512 count=1
> 7) Jumper the new HD as the primary HD, remove the old HD.
> 8) Boot windows.
>
> Has anyone done something like this?
> Am I missing any steps?
>
> Thanks,
> Larry J. Kopenkoskey

I use Partition Magic 4.0 has a copy feature to copy the whole drive to
another drive.
On the new drive you have to have empty space as large or larger
than your original drive. I use it all the time and it can create ext2
partitions
and resize ext2 as well.

jozien