mplayer debs, was: Re: AVI player recommendations

I too have had problems with other players, and today found mplayer debs
here:

http://www.mplayer.fr.st/

I added the line on this page to my sources.list and apt-got the thing,
and then got the codecs and put them, IIRC, under /usr/lib/win32.
Amazingly enough, it worked for all of the (few) mpg and avi files on this
box.  I'll give it a much tougher test tonight at home.  But so far I'd
have to say this is a very smooth little player.  I wish I'd discovered
mplayer earlier.

dave w