Re: Transfering Old HD to New (bigger) HD

I've downloaded the part image floppy images and made the two floppies
although I haven't actually used the program I have looked at it. Two
concerns here: 1) it's beta software but then a lot of linux stuff is so
probably no big deal 2) the partitions you which to copy must be the
same size. The senario I envision is as follows:

First of I formated a floppy to ext2 file system and copied over cfdisk,
mke2fs and mc (to help browse around). All this adds an extra disk to
the normal set of two provided by the partimage web site.

Now to the steps - Install the new hard drive. Boot with the partimage
boot floppy and insert the root floppy when prompted. Use the dd command
to copy the mbr from the old drive to the new drive. Hopefully this will
create an exact duplicate of the partition table as well as install the
boot loader.

Run cfdisk to make any edits to the partition table on the new disk. In
my case I have hda1 (root); hda2 (/usr); hda3 (swap) and hda4 (/home).
To maintain the same size requirements don't change the size of hdb1 or
hdb2. Do what you want with the rest of the drive. Make an extended
partition or whatever.

Generate the image files for the partitions on your old drive and place
the images on the old drive if they will fit or place them on the new
drive (but not in the patitions you are going to mirror). Now use the
images to create the copy on the new drive. Since it is a bigger drive
you've changed the partitioning scheme on the drive at least size wise
(somewhere). Use the images to mirror the base partitions (in my case
this would be hda1 -> hdb1 and hda2 -> hdb2. Shutdown and swap drives.
If all goes well you can boot using the new drive and finish setting
things up with cfdisk etc. As not everything may be the same you might
get errors when the system tries to mount file systems (ie the new
partitions aren't registered in the /etc/fstab file yet).

Things to note:

1. destination partition must be the same size a source partition
2. you need the boot floppy set to create an image of the root partition
3. I'm not sure if you can do the 'ghost' directly without creating the
image files

This is all hypothetical. I haven't tried any of this (yet).

Rod