RE: mplayer debs, was: Re: AVI player recommendations

Jason,

What I was replying to doesn't look like a newbie issue, especially the
comment about ethics.  In my case, even after RTFM I am still confused and
need help.

I think what got me was the reference to not caring about ethics because the
mplayer developers are jerks.

In rereading the post and my reply I realize that I hadn't answered her
question about running mplayer which I had planned to address.  Someone
walked into my office in the middle of the reply and distracted me.

So, to get the gui to run here are the instructions from the manual:

1.4. What about the GUI?

The GUI needs GTK (it isn't GTK, but the panels are). The skins are stored
in PNG format, so gtk, libpng (and their devel stuff) has to be installed.
You can build it by specifying --enable-gui during ./configure . Then, to
turn on GUI mode, you either

use the -gui option (mplayer -gui)
specify gui=yes in your config file
ln -s /usr/local/bin/mplayer /usr/local/bin/gmplayer , and call gmplayer
instead.

HINT: use the middle button (on 2 button mice press left and right
simultaneously) for a popup GTK menu, with DVD playing option!

As MPlayer doesn't have a skin included, you have to download them if you
want to use the GUI. See the download page. They should be extracted to the
usual system-wide directory (/usr/local/share/mplayer/Skin), or to
$HOME/.mplayer/Skin . MPlayer by default looks in these directories for a
default named directory, but you can use the -skin newskin option, or the
skin=newskin config file directive to use the skin in */Skin/newskin
directory.

Regards,
Michael

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Montz, Michael wrote:
> If you had RTFM you would have seen that the problem with downloading a

Please do not say RTFM to newbies. Linux takes a while to get used to,
and if those of us with some more experience just get frustrated and
say RTFM, Linux quickly becomes unattractive. This is detrimental to us
all.

This is just my opinion, but I think that most of us who are experienced
with linux, probably had help when we first started out (I would have
given up if it weren't for linuxnewbie.org). I feel that it is our
responsibility to give back to the linux community for the help it has
given us.

Sorry for going off, but RTFM really bugs me.

Thats all I'm going to say

Jason

Disclaimer
1. This e-mail is for the intended recipient only. If you have received it
by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system;
access, disclosure, copying, distribution or reliance on any of it by anyone
else is prohibited.

2. If you as intended recipient have received this e-mail incorrectly,
please notify the sender (via e-mail) immediately. This e-mail is
confidential and may be legally privileged. DSM does not guarantee that the
information sent and/or received by or with this e-mail is correct and does
not accept any liability for damages related thereto.