gcc

Does anyone know what the official version of gcc is? I know that this
isn't really a clear question, but I remeber a while back that mandrake
took some flack for including a 3.x gcc compiler, when the standard was
2.95. From this I heard rumors that certain things wouldn't compile.
Because of this, I have been sticking with 2.95, and have avoided the
3.x series (I even saw on a kernel site that some network component
wouldn't compile with gcc 3.1). However, the most recent packages from
alsa in the woody tree want me to get gcc 3.0. I have put this off out
of fear of apps not compiling, but I thought that I should ask if I'm
just being silly, or if I should stick with just 2.95.

jason