Re: Where to install StarOffice

No, SO installed exactly where you told it to, and that was the problem!

Don't feel bad....there's a quirk in StarOffice's install that, if I'm not
mistaken (and I may be, haven't checked recently), still has not been well
documented by Sun (though the answer is on most "how-to's" around the Web).

Here's how you do it:

1) Log in as root.

2) From within whichever directory the SO install files are located (i.e., cd
to that directory), run "./setup net" from the command line (no quotes, of
course, and no dash before 'net').  This will install the "network" version
of StarOffice (i.e., the 'full' version).  I think the default directory to
which the "office52" directory is installed is /opt.

3) Next, log out of root and log back in under your regular username.

4) From the command line again, cd to /opt/office52/bin (I think that's
right).

5) From there, run "./setup" at the command line......NO "net" this time!

6) As I recall, the SO install will prompt you to choose what kind of install
you want.....I think it's labeled 'workgroup' or something....in any case,
it's the smaller install, about 2+ MB or so, which will be installed to your
home directory.  This is where all your "personal" settings and documents
that you create with SO will be stored.

After you run the "./setup net" from root on any system, all users on that
system can subsequently run their own "./setup" and use SO.  For now, I
suggest you delete SO completely and start over, following the above
instructions.

Hope this helps.

Tom Snell