Re: How to go online with DSL?

There are also hardware based solutions to the PPPoE issue.  You might want
to check out some of the DSL/Cable routers.  These have a firmware PPPoE
server, plus offer four or more switched Ethernet ports, and have various
levels of firewall protection.  These little boxes also act as the DHCP
server, so ALL of your computers, on any O/S (Linux, Mac, Win, etc.), can
just be set up as straight TCP/IP DHCP clients.  If you have multiple
computers running, it is an easy solution.  The older model I use is now $50
or so on Ebay.

Do a search on "RT314" (for example) to find more info.

There are also industrial strength Linux firewalls that can run PPPoE for you:
check out "smoothwall" and there used to be something called "the Linux
Router Project".