Re: How to go online with DSL?

Thanks Sam, Sarah and Jason, after installing roaring-penguin, DSL is
running fine. I then got kernel 2.4.17, configured and installed it,
and now the 2nd IDE controller is detected, I will move the system
there then. SCSI does not work well yet, I'll have to see what this
is. No more X crashes so far (but I did not try nautilus), one Mozilla
crash. Two small problems which are a bit annoying: The man pages come
up very slowly, it takes about ten seconds, sometimes about 25 if the
topic is not found. And I don't get the german keyboard layout in the
text consoles, so it's hard to use special characters which are all at
other places, but at least under X it's okay. Sound did not work
first, I have to load the module manually, but then it's okay.

Well, that's not too bad, seems to me like I will stick to this
distribution from now on, I like it.

Logan wrote:

> There are also hardware based solutions to the PPPoE issue.  You
> might want to check out some of the DSL/Cable routers.  These have a
> firmware PPPoE server, plus offer four or more switched Ethernet
> ports, and have various levels of firewall protection.  These little
> boxes also act as the DHCP server, so ALL of your computers, on any
> O/S (Linux, Mac, Win, etc.), can just be set up as straight TCP/IP
> DHCP clients.  If you have multiple computers running, it is an easy
> solution.  The older model I use is now $50 or so on Ebay.

I'm beginning to think about something like that. An easy solution, as
you say. My plan is to use this computer as internet gateway for a
very little intranet, but it then has to be running all the time... I
will definitely have to install Quake3 under Linux then, because I
cannot reboot to Windows anymore :)

> Do a search on "RT314" (for example) to find more info.

> There are also industrial strength Linux firewalls that can run PPPoE
> for you: check out "smoothwall" and there used to be something called
> "the Linux Router Project".

Yes, and I have some old hardware here, maybe I will do something like
that.

Thanks to all for your support!

        Alex
--
  Alex Schuster     [email protected]        PGP Key available
                    [email protected]