Re: failed to initialize core devices

Welcome to Linux!  "Permissions" (or lack thereof) can be a huge problem.  I suggest a reinstall because you have little to lose. and may get a better installation next time.  It will probably be a lot easier, and you can get the passwords and users just right, and then you will be better able to enjoy your system.