DHCP and resolving NFS and other services on home LAN

Hello.  My home LAN has 3-6 machines (depending on tinker-state at the
moment) running PC's and Mac's.  Outbound is aDSL through Netgear RT314
router/switch/DHCP server.  Internet services work fine, as does Windows file
sharing (all boxes dual boot Win98se and Libranet 1.9.1 with some Sid, the
Mac box just uses the Ethernet to get out).  I only use the basic mail and
news services (pan and kmail), and haven't configured fetchmail, sendmail,
etc. (except as they may be there by virtue of a default install).

I have setup appropriate rules in exports, hosts.allow and hosts.deny.

My router (apparently) does not have an option to serve fixed IP's based on
MAC address to the DHCP clients.

So, I haven't been able to rely on hostnames to mount nfs shares.  In other
words,

mount machine1:/home  /mnt/home        does not work, whereas

mount 192.168.0.5:/home  /mnt/home      does work, but I have to get the IP
address by trial and error.

I don't at this time intend to put any automounts in fstab, but would like to
use the hostnames for manual nfs mounts.  I also am not attempting any remote
(outside the firewall) logins to any of my boxes, and don't run any external
services like ftp or web servers.

1)  is there a command that will poll my domain and return connected hosts
and IP addresses?

2)  is there a daemon, or something, that dynamically updates the
relationship of hostnames to DHCP assigned IP's.... since the various
machines are turned off and on, and moved around randomly?

3)  what HOW-TO should I have read before posting this?

TIA for nudging me in the right direction.....
Logan