LILO [was"burner questions"]

I'm having some strange stuff with lilo on my ThinkPad 600E.  I altered
lilo.conf with vi so that there are two single-key aliases: "1" for
Libranet, and"2" for Windoze.  I saved (wrote) the file and ran lilo after quiting vi.  Of
course, all from the root prompt.  When running "lilo" I get a message that
single-key aliases must be only one character.  I've gone back several times
and checked to make sure that each alias is only one character ("1" and "2"),
but I keep getting the same message.

I have the same configuration for lilo on my desktop and it works fine.

Then I went in and changed the "other" line from "Windoze" to "Win98" to
check something.  At the LILO prompt, when I hit tab, it still lists
"Windoze"even though I've changed the file and saved it several times--both in vi and
in KEdit.  For some reason I'm not able to replace the original lilo.conf
withthe altered file.

Any clues?

Thanks,

NLK

> Good point and yes bios access via the del key on the keyboard is not a
> problem. Maybe it is something in lilo.conf but then again it could
> still be a bios thing. Something after the post test. I also tried the
> caps-lock key and didn't get a caps lock light. This was during the
> lilol delay period. I have a set of linux boot disks but that's besides
> the point. The shift key should work but doesn't and I don't know why.
>
> For the moment it's a mystery.
>
> rod
>
> Sam Burnett wrote:
>>
>> Just out of curiosity: can you boot into the bios configuration
>> program by using the keyboard? It seems like if you can do that you
>> should be able to use the keyboard in lilo...
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 05:11:57PM -0400, rod wrote:
>> > No, your not off your rocker. Although I didn't completely explain
>> > the two are related. When I modify the kernel I like to add a new
>> > stanza to lilo to test the kernel. In this case the stanza had the
>> > line
>> > 'label=burner' but no matter what I tried it kept defaulting to the
>> > stanza containing 'label=linux' and I couldn't get the 'boot:'
>> > prompt. I do this as sort of a safty-net in case the new kernel
>> > doesn't work.
>> >
>> > Yes, I ran lilo after making any changes. As a general reply to the
>> > other responses to my question I tried the left shift key, the right
>> > shift key and both shift keys at the same time; always with the same
>> > result. Ended up making the new kernel the default one and hoping
>> > for the best. It did work, by the way. The machine is running it
>> > now. It wasn't a kernel upgrade, just a reconfiguration.
>> >
>> > I'll have to go through the manual for the mainboard and see if
>> > there is something in there.
>> >
>> > Rod

PRESIDENT.