Re: Changed sources list for viewing

Sarah,

It strikes me that you probably don't need so many lines for identical
"testing" archives.  I don't think you'll need the potato lines any more
either (though _maybe_ there are some instances where this will ease the
transition).  The KDE archive you list is quite dated; the KDE packages in
testing should be fine.

Debian has a nifty little utility called netselect-apt that will actually
find the archive that will give you the fastest download.  You'll need to
install it first ('apt-get install netselect') and then run it:

	netselect-apt testing

This will create a new sources.list for for woody/testing you in the current
directory.  Here's what I got from my machine, which is parked in Maine:

# the main Debian packages.  Uncomment the deb-src line if you
# want 'apt-get source' to work with most packages.
deb http://debian.oit.umass.edu/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
# deb-src http://debian.oit.umass.edu/debian/ testing main contrib non-free

# the non-US Debian packages.  Uncomment the deb-src line if you
# want 'apt-get source' to work with non-US packages.
deb http://debian.oit.umass.edu/debian-non-US/ testing/non-US main contrib
non-free
# deb-src http://debian.oit.umass.edu/debian-non-US/ testing/non-US main
contrib non-free

I recommend doing this as regular user from within your home directory.  If
you're happy with it, add the libranet and security lines, and then copy it
over to /etc/apt/sources.list as root.

Hope this proves useful...

--Rob