Re: kt7-raid

May have found your problem. In your post you refered to the modules
being installed. Did you set up support for the controller as modules?
If so then the modules aren't loaded until the system boots. Without the
modules the kernel may be getting 'confused' by a device it knows about
but doesn't know what to do with it.

The only highpoint controller I've had a chance to look at would go
active on boot and look for attached drives. Perhaps if there are no
drives attached the controller goes inactive. If there is a drive
attached then the drive is listed as a device on the pci bus. This is
all a guess.

Rod