Re: AVI player recommendations

Still no luck - I've actually got a 'd5d' button on the front
of the gui, but if I use the file selecting button there is a
d4d option which lets me browse the dvd.  Nothing actually
plays though.

I have probably screwed everything but installing at various
times xine, ogle and mplayer plus various css and dvd libs.
I'll have a clean out of my system and reinstall xine again
from scratch.  The _official_ mplayer install seems a bit
gruesome, but I see the deb link below.  I don't get why they
are so sensitive about binary packages - if I choose to take
the performance hit by not compiling an optimised install on my
system then why should they care?  Are there really software
licences that allow the distribution of source code but not
binaries?

Nick.